Monday, August 17, 2015

Top 7000 name of 2014 By Spelling: GIRLS


At long last, here is the top 7000, grouped by spelling! That is, I take the names released by the Social Security Administration every year, and group them by spelling. This gives a more accurate ranking of names that sound the same. For example, you may have named your child Kaitlyn, but if you yell "KAITLYN!" on a crowded playground, Caitlin, Katelyn, Kaitlinn and Catelin will all come running. This gives a better indication of a name's overall popularity, particularly for modern names like Alaysia, Kayleigh etc. that don't have a "standard" spellings.

Without further ado, here is the Girls' List!

Sophia is #1 again; it's been #1 since 2007 (except for a brief turn at #2 in 2008 to make room for Isabella, but then Sophia was back on top in 2009).

1 comment:

Becky said...

I tried to download this, and I can't download or copy it (either the full doc, or individual cells). The boys' name sheet is downloadable, so I was wondering if this was an error, and if I could get a copy.

Thanks! I love this, and look for the new list every year.